Dec 15, 2008

Merry Christmas to me (bit early) -- NEW 21 megapixel : Canon 5D Mark II

After all the buzz and hype I’m thoroughly impressed with this camera. I pre-ordered this baby almost four months ago from two vendors (Adorama & Calumut) and finally received my Adorama order this week. I must admit it is absolutely awesome to be able to fire off frames at nearly 22 megapixels a piece (fantastic for the advertising and commercial photo shoots as well as the landscape stuff). Then a simple flip of the switch to live view mode and you're recording full blown HD video. There's all kinds of cool videos already being produced with this thing including some high end advertising campaigns.


Bathtub III from Keith Loutit on Vimeo.


Ford Transit TV Commercial with 5D mark 2 from Bunseng Chuor on Vimeo.

I’ll have some still frames as well as video for you to check out shortly, but the possiblities are really exciting and I can glimpse a little motion directing in my future.

So what is the future of photography (still or video?)

With cameras that now shoot both High Res still images as well as full HD video, the face of photography is changing and will continue to do so at an ever increasing rate. The new RED camera’s 100FPS and 25mp sensor means that one could direct a film clip and pull all the advertising and campaign images straight from the reel (http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/).

No comments: